- A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy…”
— Alexander Fraser Tytler, Scottish lawyer and writer. 1770
- The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled. — Cicero. 106-43 B.C.
Educate others and spread the word. Here are some wonderful quotes to wear and display.
- They who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither. — Benjamin Franklin bumper stickers
- The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples’ money — Margaret Thatcher t-shirt
- Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. — Martin Luther King, Jr. bumper sticker
- Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give it to those who would not. — Thomas Jefferson magnet
- Fiscal Conservative, Social Liberal bumper sticker
- the sole end for which mankind are warranted, individually or collectively, in interfering with the liberty of action of any of their number, is self-protection. That the only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not sufficient warrant. — Mill’s On Liberty
- The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. — Thomas Jefferson